Flipping

I buy books. And sometimes I read them. This blog is for the times when I do more than just store shelf candy.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

2010's Best

One of the traditions that our book club, Flips Flipping Pages, has developed is to start the year sharing with each other our best and worst reads of the previous year.

For this bunch of book addicts, this provides yet another excuse to go out there and buy more books. "This was Blooey's/Honey's/Mich's favorite read last year; I've got to have it too."

On the other hand, knowing other people's worst reads is a good way to steer clear of the duds, no matter how cheap they're selling them in Booksale. And if we already have the duds in our possession, we can at least take those items from our towering TBRs and transfer them to our bookmooch inventory.

But then again, the group is so diverse that one person's dud could be some other person's all time favorite. Brave New World, anyone?

We will meet and discuss our best and worst this Saturday, January 22, at the best bookstore in the planet, Libreria at Cubao X. So, the past few days I've been pressuring myself to go through the list of books that I read in 2010 and make my choices.

My choice for worst book was easy. I knew that right after I read the book's last few pages.

Choosing the best was a lot tougher. Sometimes, it's a tough choice because I have to choose among top faves, books I really fell in love with. But this year, it was tough because nothing stood out and screamed 2010's finest. Don't ask me to explain why that is. It just is.

I first made a shortlist. Though I have already chosen my best read for 2010, I will only share with you my shortlist for now.

I tried not to over think my choices; I went through my list of 71 and quickly chose 10 to 12 books that I liked. I did not include re-reads, e.g. Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Shadow of the Wind, which I already included in 2008's top ten. So, here they are, in order of reading chronology, my best reads for 2010.
  1. The Passion by Jeanette Winterson
  2. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
  3. The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins
  4. Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
  5. Blackbird House by Alice Hoffman
  6. My Life in France by Julia Child
  7. Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland
  8. Falling Off the Map by Pico Iyer
  9. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
  10. Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie
  11. Blu's Hanging by Lois-Ann Yamanaka
  12. The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
I am not 100% confident that this is my final short list, but hey, this is not a life and death choice, and once I (if I ever do) work on the backlog of my reviews, maybe I'll discover I've missed out on one and I'll change my mind.

Can you guess my bestest read for 2010? It's actually quite predictable. As usual, I ended up choosing not the best written, not the most well loved by others, but the one that I connected to best on a personal level. I'm not keeping you in suspense because it's actually a predictable choice. But I'm giving myself a couple of days to keep it under wraps in case I change my mind.

What are your best and worst reads of 2010?

1 comment:

  1. Agree. One person's trash is another's treasure and vice-versa. Obviously illustrated by our Best and Worst discussion. And, after a while, I didn't mind. I think I'd be bored if we all liked and disliked the same stuff.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails