Flipping

I buy books. And sometimes I read them. This blog is for the times when I do more than just store shelf candy.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I Flipped through 71 books in 2010



Before Shelfari, I had a collection of maybe 200-400 books. Mostly shelf candy. I would read whenever I felt like it, which was not all that frequent. On a good year, I would complete no more than 10 books. And I would scan an almost equal number of picture books on design, fashion, and domestic divaesque pursuits.

It was in 2007 when my friend, Sana, invited me to www.shelfari.com. It looked like an interesting site, a Facebook for book geeks, and it gave me a solution to my book inventory problem.

Through shelfari, I became part of a book club that changed my reading patterns dramatically.

Now, my shelves are bursting with close to two thousand books. I'm not boasting. I am groaning. And my husband is frowning because our living quarters look like a bookstore warehouse with books spilling out of the shelves onto precious walking space. Books sitting on his futon taking up his TV-watching space. Towers of books that threaten our safety.

So I have tried my best to do justice to the collection by forcing myself to read more and more books every year. I start the year with a plan, a target number of books to read, and it should be a target higher than the previous year's. So far, having a plan is working.

Here's a chart that shows the progression of my reading.
I am fuzzy about the years 2007 and 2008 because I was not purposely documenting my reading back then, but I think these are fairly accurate estimates.

As for 2010, I targeted to read 70 books, and I thought that I achieved that close to midnight of December 31. It turned out that I miscounted, and I actually read 71 books! Yey, me!

Now, I have to admit that the list includes a number of really, really, really short books with more pictures than text, but they are books nonetheless.

So, this is my quantity report for reading 2010.

In summary,

I read a total of 16,077 pages, not counting the pages of books I have only read partially. That's a summary of 226 pages per book.

Of the 71 books I read:
53 are fiction
18 are non-fiction
12 are children's books
8 are graphic novels or comic books or picture books
14 are Philippine publications
33 are novels
3 are short story anthologies
5 are biographies
3 are travel books
There is 1 business book,
1 self-help book,
and 1 poetry collection.

And the 71 books' titles and authors are:
  1. Pugad Baboy XX 20th Edition by Pol Medina
  2. The Passion by Jeanette Winterson
  3. How the Garcia Girls Lost their Accents by Julia Alvarez
  4. The Game by A.S. Byatt
  5. The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (reread)
  6. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
  7. High Fidelity by Nick Hornby (reread)
  8. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
  9. The Great Automatic Grammatizator and Other Stories by Roald Dahl
  10. The Gathering by Anne Enright
  11. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  12. Mantissa by John Fowles
  13. Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
  14. Blackbird House by Alice Hoffman
  15. The Darwin Awards by Wendy Northcutt
  16. My Life in France by Julia Child
  17. Chasing Cezanne by Peter Mayle
  18. Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier
  19. Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland
  20. Falling Off the Map by Pico Iyer
  21. Kubori Strips for the Soul by Michael David
  22. Best Things in Life, A Second Collection of Comic Strips from Kuborikikiam.com by Michael David
  23. Postsecret by Frank Warren
  24. The Pretenders by F. Sionil Jose
  25. On the Road by Jack Kerouac
  26. Hallmark Creative and Thoughtful Gift Giving by Leah Ingram
  27. The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Leguin
  28. What Now? by Ann Patchett
  29. While I Was Gone by Sue Miller
  30. Fables, The Deluxe Edition by Bill Willingham
  31. The Mystic Masseur by VS Naipaul
  32. You Can Reach the Top by Zig Ziglar
  33. A Personal Matter by Kenzaburo Oe
  34. The Pact by Jodi Picoult
  35. A Good Year by Peter Mayle
  36. Boys' Toys Bikes by Hulton Getty
  37. Wine 101 by Gerald C. Hammon
  38. Fifty Days by Sarah Quigley
  39. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
  40. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
  41. Alamat ng Paniki by Segundo Matias
  42. Fetch by Becky Bravo, illustrated by Blooey Singson
  43. Pied Piper
  44. Ang Mga Kwento ni Lola Basyang- Anting Anting, retold by Christine Bellen
  45. Alamat ng Buwaya by Segundo Matias
  46. Tell Me About Beatrix Potter by John Malam
  47. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
  48. 4000 Years of Christmas by Earl W. Count and Alice Lawson Count
  49. Flight to the Stars and other Stories by Samantha Mae Coyiuto
  50. Billy Bryson's African Diary by Bill Bryson
  51. Successful Time Management byPatrick Forsyth
  52. Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie
  53. The End of the Affair by Graham Greene
  54. Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
  55. The Many Moods of Plantation Bay
  56. Picture Palace by Paul Theroux
  57. Journey to Ellis Island by Carol Biernan
  58. The Music School by John Updike
  59. Slaughter House-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
  60. Love, Ten Poems by Pablo Neruda Pablo Neruda
  61. The Fat Woman's Joke by Fay Weldon
  62. My Secret Bully by Trudy Ludwig
  63. Twas the Night Before Christmas on IPad. by Clement Clarke Moore
  64. A Loyal Character Dancer by Qiu Xialong
  65. Blu's Hanging by Lois-Ann Yamanaka
  66. Teo's Trash Can by Grace D. Chong
  67. Big Eyes, Small Eyes by Grace D. Chong
  68. The Magic of Apo Mayor, 31 pages Grace D. Chong
  69. Half and Half by Grace D. Chong
  70. Nana by Emile Zola Emile Zola
  71. The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
When I look at the mix, what I think I should read more of in 2011 are books on business, personal finance, writing, and creativity. I also should read more classics and more books to help me grow in my Christian faith.

I have achieved my target of reading 70 books.

Unfortunately, I don't think it was a year of quality books. Though I have enjoyed reading 2010's books, not one particular title leaps at me now as my automatic choice for my best read for the year. I have a few more days to agonize and choose.

I do know, already, what my worst read is. It's number 54.

In 2011, I will read 80 books. So help me, God.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on hitting or surpassing your target for the past 4 years, Ge!

    So how come you thought Lovely Bones was the worst?:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey, thanks! Review of Lovely Bone to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing so much good resource.



    flip book software

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails