Flipping

I buy books. And sometimes I read them. This blog is for the times when I do more than just store shelf candy.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Searching for Rhyme


February is poetry month for the Flippers.

On February 12, we will discuss Pablo Neruda's Cien Sonetos de Amor (One Hundred Sonnets of Love). I'm disappointed that I'm going to miss this because of an important family affair. Not because I like poetry, but because I need to know more about it. I need something like a poetry appreciation course. Because I'm clueless.

Poems baffle me. I don't know how to tell a good one from a bad one.

The picture shows my paltry poetry collection, a teeny weeny fraction of my ginourmous collection of books.

I was staring at it this afternoon, trying to figure out where to start -- Rilke? Rosetti? Garcia Villa? I have no idea. Eenie, meenie, miny, moe.

Anyway, join us in our online discussion. It's not just about Neruda. It's about poetry in general. It's for those who love, hate, get, don't get, read, don't read poetry.

2 comments:

  1. Start with Christina Rossetti. And if your collection has Goblin Market, start with that. It's longer than her usual, but I suggest you read it out loud. If you don't like it, I'm hoping that you'll still get a kick out of it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi-5! Same here I can't appreciate a poem from the first stanza up to the last period. I'm a poetic dork!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails