Flipping

I buy books. And sometimes I read them. This blog is for the times when I do more than just store shelf candy.

Monday, February 14, 2011

What Ever Happened to My 2010 Reading Plan?

Where did January go?

It's midway through February. So why am I still giving a report of my 2010 reading achievements. Because this blog is not the boss of me, and I write when I want to write, okay? *said assertively with arms crossed, eyebrows knitted together, mouth puckered in a pout."

I considered skipping this, but I don't think I can live with myself not tying up loose ends.

If you were already reading this blog at the start of last year, you may have read about my 10 point-reading plan for 2010.

I challenged myself to:
  1. read a total of 70 books this year
  2. complete the A to Z challenge
  3. read at least 6 classics, guided by Italo Calvino's Why Read the Classics
  4. read all FFP book discussion assignments
  5. read at least 2 books on writing (Margaret Atwood's, Stephen King's, etc.)
  6. read at least 5 travel/ travel writing books
  7. finally read 100 Years of Solitude
  8. read at least 3 biographies
  9. blog at least 50 posts here, and
  10. read the bible slowly, more deeply studying it book by book
So, how did I do? I:
  1. read a total of 70 books this year - check
  2. completed the A to Z challenge - check
  3. did not read at least 6 classics, guided by Italo Calvino's Why Read the Classics - fail
  4. read all FFP book discussion assignments - check, except for Carrie, which was our inspiration for our Bloody Prom Christmas party, but we didn't have to read that.
  5. did not read at least 2 books on writing (Margaret Atwood's, Stephen King's, etc.) - fail; got to read Stephen King's On Writing January 2011.
  6. read at least 5 travel/ travel writing books - check, but this was unintentional, it turns out I got to read travel related books as listed below, and Peter Mayle's Chasing Cezanne, though it was fiction, had me chasing Chezanne all over France and England, so that qualifies. So check!
  7. did not finally read 100 Years of Solitude - epic fail; i did not even come near the book.
  8. read at least 3 biographies - check
  9. did not blog at least 50 posts here - fail; I eked out 36.
  10. read the bible slowly (too slowly), BUT NOT deeply studying it book by book and not frequently. - fail
What would classify as travel reads for item 6:
My Life in France by Julia Child
Chasing Cezanne by Peter Mayle
Falling Off the Map by Pico Iyer
On the Road by Jack Kerouac

Biographies:
My Life in France by Julia Child
On the Road by Jack Kerouac
The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails